HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Landon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 08:56:10 -0700
Just for fun, I'll say this is its most provocative form:

Archaeology in North America has been retarded in important ways by its
close association with anthropology.

Three specific topical areas that have been hurt:

1) archaeometry and many aspects of archaeological science;
2) industrial archaeology;
3) many aspects of environmental archaeology.

To my view, all of these research areas are significantly more advanced
outside of North America, in part because of their tenuous fit in an
"anthropological" archaeology.

--Dave Landon