HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Neal Hitch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:13:57 -0400
There are several architectural detail books and even more illustrated
dictionaries. if you want to go to the best architectural details source try
the newly reprinted first volume (1932) of Architectural Graphic Standards,
republished as Traditional Details; John Wiley and Sons, Inc.: New York,
1991 This weekend I picked up copies of a 1926 Sears Homes Catalogue reprint
and a reprint of a 1910 Sears catalogue of building materials at a National
Trust site. I am sure these are available elsewhere. Construction "lingo"
has not really changed over time. The construction industry is one of the
slowest industries to accept and integrate change (see Doucet and Weaver).
The biggest differences between early 20th century and late 20th century
will be in specific building material such as roofing, wall finishes, and to
some extent framing materials, however I dont think you will find these in a
book. On the other hand, you could just higher an historic architect to do
the work for you. :)

Neal Hitch
Ohio Historical Society