HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 18:01:39 -0500
>There is a very good reason for paying staff on CRM projects which is nothing
>to do with kindness- a little thing called the law. I suspect that the US is
>no different to the UK in that if you don't pay contracted workers you get
>sued, the baliffs called and you become a bankrupt.

I think, in general, everyone in the archaeology film is grossly underpaid
(legitimate archaeology). In the case of salvage work, at least at first it
is usually a field of debt work. :/ But yes, if you hire someone in the US
and you do not pay them for work done, you're in deep you know what.
Contract labor is very touchy in the US though, so it's probably better to
just hire folks fully on a per hour or salary basis.

When I started ROV work, I worked for free because I needed the experience.
Little did I know it's not exactly a very sustaining field. ALbeit the
commerical field (for folks like oil companies, mineral research stations
etc...they pay oodles of cash...but I didn't learn ROV to sift through
blowback trying to cnnect pipes in the middle of the Atlantic my whole life).

Matt CIM