HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 10:48:13 -0500
I really appreciate all the great information about vermin control through
glass in the walls etc.  but Antonia Malan, would you please explain further
the following part of your Wed, 29 Apr 1998 message:
 >>in the latter contexts there were
>> many animal bones (especially sheep) lying around on the dusty ground
>> surface, some complete and surprisingly large, so the rats themselves
>> don't seem to have interpreted the broken glass as a deterrant.

I'm not understanding your meaning here.  Are you saying the rats brought in
the bones?  (Spring allergies & antihistimines are making me a bit dense I
guess).  Years ago, when I worked at Colonial Williamsburg, the Peyton
Randolph site, we found a series of what we thought were planting beds.
Some of them were lined with broken bottle glass, others were lined with big
flat animal bones - like shoulder pieces).  Like I said, I'm probably
missing the point here, but, for what its worth, I'd thought I mention it -
in case there is a connection.

Linda Derry ([log in to unmask])
Old Cahawba Archaeological Park
Alabama Historical Commission