HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charlie Ewen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 1995 08:51:25 EDT
The latest copy of CRM is a good read.  There never was any doubt in my
mind that there is much to learn from 19th & 20th c. sites. The questions
is, and I quote Susan Henry's article"Our lack of attention also means that
we haven't come to grips with the overwhelming quantities of 20th c documents
and sites. We're faced with considerable site redundancy - what should we
do with all those sites that seem to be everywhere? How can we distinguish
the important ones?" She suggests that we study them. A good, if somewhat
vague, idea. Which is why I think that the folks urging the development of
regional contexts are on the right track.  Keep recording all the sites,
but further investigate only the significant ones. And that's the problem
the significance criteria.

Charles R Ewen Associate Professor
East Carolina University
Anthropology
Brewster A-209 Greenville, NC 27858 (919) 328-1071
Bitnet: ANEWEN@ECUVM1 Internet: [log in to unmask]