HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2012 20:19:55 -0700
Yeah I noticed that too.
And was likewise pleased.

A few issues back in that same journal, did you read the diatribe of how
awful archaeologists are because they are keeping good honest bottle
collectors from bottle collecting?  And threatening their hobby by an
idiotic interest in stratigraphy, etc?  And getting laws passed that keep
sites protected from the hobbyist bottle collector?

I wonder if this month's article was a gentle rebuttal to that diatribe.

In a recent copy of the Journal of the International Brick Collectors
Association, there was a description of where to go in a particular city to
collect bricks.  Then a letter was written: to the letter writer's dismay he
had brick collectors arriving at his property and unearthing parts of his
landscaping.  I believe an apology occurred.

Obviously there is a big problem with hobbyists who, in pursuit of their
hobby, are apparently naieve about laws and seem (to me at least) entirely
lacking in common sense.

    In 2 more days, my 10-14 year old archaeology students will be getting
their lesson on ethics.  ARPA, NAGPRA, and some of our local laws get
covered.

I'd LOVE suggestions about clever ways to get these concepts about
pothunting and laws across.

For instance:

One of my best ones is to photograph the class, make copies for each
student, chop a student out and remove a few more pieces, add in pieces from
someone else's photo, and put it in an envelope.  In other words, each
student tries to reassemble a jigsaw puzzle which is missing that student.
When they can't find pieces I tell them to think of the photo as resembling
a site, and pothunters have taken out all the goodies. The pothunters have
also messed up the stratigraphy by tossing artifacts (the extra pieces)
around.

Anyone else got ideas I can use?

Thanks,
S. Walter