HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Benjamin Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2012 10:44:11 -0400
All,

Let's not forget Stan South's excavations of Moravian settlements
(Historical Archaeology in Wachovia). The Moravians were communal, at
least in the early part of their appearance in the US, say between 1742
and (I forget the precise date here) sometime in the 1760s and even
after that they still held onto many of their communal tenets even
though people no longer lived in gender/age groups.

There are also a couple of other Moravian excavations out there, but I
no longer recall locations. Unfortunately, amazing excavations were
completed here in Bethlehem, PA the Moravian base for their activities
in the Americas. Most excavations were in the 1960s and 70s, but nothing
was ever published. I tried to go through some of the old collections,
but they are in less-than-ideal conditions and I had little luck.

I have also done a very minor amount of testing at Gnadenhuetten, the
site of a massacre of Moravian missionaries, but don't have much to
speak of and certainly not enough to publish.

Cheers,
Ben