HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2006 22:17:29 -0400

Hi Tim,

I hate to rain on your folk tale, but cutesy stories to explain the  presence
of artifacts and their persistence among archaeologists has  really become
one of my pet peeves.  Your story of Ma Wolfe and her tainted  meat is,
well--bologna (baloney).

Our recent reinventory of the Thomas Wolfe cistern artifact
collection--which includes your 1975 investigation of the top half and the  completion of the
bottom five feet by Chris Baroody three years later--yielded a  total of 9448
bottle fragments (from a whopping 45,661 total  artifacts).

Of these, 1464 individually identifiable bottles were functionally
classified.  A total of 101 were culinary in nature (6.9%), and of which  only a meager
12 were Worcestershire sauce (and yes, they were Lea &  Perrins).  Twelve
small bottles of Worcestershire sauce for a cistern that  may have been open and
accumulated debris for approximately 40 plus years?

Additionally, based on the recollections (albeit autobiographic  fiction) in
Look Homeward, Angel and Mabel Wolfe Wheaton's actual  autobiography, the
importance of food to the Wolfe house was second to  none.  There is actually no
indication--archaeological, literary, or  autobiographical--to support that
Mrs. Wolfe fed her family or boarders any form  of secondary graded meat coated
in Worcestershire to mask its age or  taste.

Sorry to be the bearer of facts, but that's what the collection and the
records reveal. Should you like a copy of our report I'll be more than  happy to
provide you with one.

Cheers,

Tom Beaman

Anthropology Instructor, Wilson Technical Community College
and Principal Investigator of Tar River Archaeological Research
Wilson, North Carolina