HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 11:51:16 -0500
     Thanks, Tom. I'll forward your reply to the HISTARCH list serve
     (historical archeology, that is). I knew there had to be some off-site
     reconstructions out there!

     Cathy

Subject: Re[2]: Reconstructed Buildings
Author:  Tom Solon at NP-DEWA
Date:    1/1/80 1:21 AM

Here at Delaware Water National Recreation Area we have a museum village in New
Jersey called Millbrook Village.  The original gristmill was lost in the 1920's
or so and afterwords a new highway was constructed over it's "footprint".  For
that reason, when a Mill was dismantled elsewhere and donated to the NPS, we
reconstructed it adjacent to the original footprint, rather than upon it.  This
is an ongoing project being conducted in partnership with a group of private
citizens, the Millbrook Society.  The work began in 1990.  Knowledgeable about
the work are Historical Architect Tom Solon, Historian Sue Kopcynski, and park
Archaeologist John Wright.