HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 16:26:41 -0500
A fellow NPS employee asked me to post this to the HISTARCH listserve. Can
anyone out there help him?

Cathy Spude
Subject: unknown artifacts
Author:  David D. Hayes at NP-BUFF
Date:    2/19/98 9:09 AM

     I am in search of similar artifacts and/or confirmation of an unsure
     artifact identification.  During a bluffshelter restoration project we
     found on the surface what looks like a double hooked bone fish hook.
     The middle section of a small mammals femur was carved into four
     seperate pieces extending from the end of the bone.  Two of the pieces
     appear to have joined 2.5 cm from the end of the bone making a loop.
     The other two pieces appear the have been carved into the barbed end
     of the hook.  The end of the loop section is broken off and the two
     ends of the bards are missing.  The inside of the bone where the
     marrow would be is carved and smoothed out.  At the end of the bone,
     slightly opposite of the barbs(?), is a hole (.4cm dia) drilled
     through the bone.  A local fisherman said this would make since if the
     hook is pulled through the water, the water collects at the end of the
     bone and would funnel through the hole slightly dragging the hook
     downward keeping the barbs facing up - better to set the hook.  Has
     anyone seen something similar to this and if so, any date or
     associated material? Or am I way out there with a bent cane pole.

     The other artifact, I believe is a lice comb, but again no one in the
     state has seen anything like this.  It consists of two pieces of split
     river cane, 5.5 cm long with twelve carved pieces of wood, 5 cm long x
     .2 cm wide placed between the cane pieces.  The cane and tines are
     bound together with a very strong grass.  The tines are carved to a
     point at one end and charred and cut straight across at the other end.
      The tines are placed so close together that one piece of grass
     divides them.  Has anyone seen anything like this and if so, any dates
     and associated items.  I am scrathing my head on this one -
     figuratively speaking of course!

     I had the State Archeologist, NFS archeologists, all the University
     archeology staff, and archeology contractors try their guesses and
     these are the best so far.  Any help would be most appreciated.  I can
     be reached at (870)741-5443, x131, or [log in to unmask]  Thanks

     David