HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 14:29:21 EDT
In a message dated 10/6/1998 9:53:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Diacarl writes:

<< Listeros--I have found a makers mark (printed) on a small undecorated
saucer I would call later 19th century "Whiteware" and was wondering if anyone
had any info: There is a shield in the center, with two guys leaning on it.
One is holding a shovel, and the other a fish (?). On top an eagle is perched
on a stick. At the base a pennant is marked "Crescite et Multiplicamim" (any
latin scholars out there?). Under all that are the words "Ironstone China".

 Follow this link to a photo: http://encore-net.com/diachronic/thisweek.htm
go all the way to the bottom...

 Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Carl Steen >>

>>>An erudite colleague informs me that he thinks the mark relicates the seal
of the state of Maryland. Any comments Chesapeakers? CS