HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 06:25:41 -0500
It is entirely possible that someone was embalmed on the farm for interment
on the farm or in a nearby churchyard. The date of the bottle should be a
clue.

Around 1918, my father was a teenager driving people around. He carried the
doctor and sometimes the undertaker in his father's truck. In one case he
related, the hired man had been found dead in a ditch in summer. The family
sent for the undertaker, who arrived with a coffin in a packing case. The
family were all sitting on the porch, and the hired man was laid out in the
parlor. As they approached the house, it was obvious why the family were on
the porch. The hired man was bloated and stank. They ended up burying him
in the farm cemetery in the box because he wouldn't fit in the coffin.

In those days, undertakers prepared bodies on the farm. There was no point
in transporting a corpse to town and back to the farm or churchyard for
burial. In a Delaware summer, I can testify from first hand experience, a
corpse has a natural shelf life of less than two days.

    _____
___(_____)     Baby is a Land Rover with a 529.98 pica wheelbase.
Ned Heite, Camden, DE  http://home.dmv.com/~eheite/index.html