HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2006 08:43:44 -0800
The fly in the ointment of this discussion is that there are two kinds of
cane commonly called "carrizo," both of which are known to grow in Southern
California.  These are the comparatively thin reed, Phragmites australis
(Cav.) Steud [ = P. communis Trin], and the so-called "giant reed," Arundo
donax.  See Thomas H. Kearney, Robert H. Peebles, et al, "Arizona Flora"
(Berkeley, Los Angeles, London: University of California Press, 1960; p.
89), and, for ethnobotanical details, Richard S. Felger and Mary Beck Moser,
"People of the Desert and Sea" (Tucson: The University of Arizona Press,
1985; pp. 305-07, 309-15).
    Felger goes with "australis" rather than "communis," and I suspect his
is the more up-to-date and currently correct nomenclature for the ordinary
reed.
    Bunny Fontana