HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert L Schuyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 19:10:49 -0400
Susan - I am aware of the situation in Australia. One of the problems, it
seems to me, in that situation is that Archaeology does not have a wider
intellectual or POLITICAL umbrella. If I am not mistaken this has recently
had a very negative impact across the continent (even more so with historical
archaeology (e.g Sydney University)). This last problem, of course, is not
missing in Anthropology Departments (e.g. the one historical archaeologist
leaves or retires and there goes the field).

Question to All "Down Under" readers of this list. Can anyone get
Judy Birmingham to send me a copy of her Vita and get her to answer any
letters. I assume she is doing well in retirement but just (as she always
did) not answering letters. Is she still digging, still coming into her
office etc.?

        For those who do not know, Judy Birmingham is "the Mother of
Australian historical archaeology" who recently retired at Sydney
University. A major figure in the world history of historical archaeology.

        Any help will be appreciated.

                                        Bob Schuyler

P.S. We hope to see some of you Aussies in Long Beach SHA 2001.