HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marty Pickands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 15:00:38 -0400
Thanks, James-

There's nothing like learning to swim by being thrown in the pool with
all your clothes on- but that's CRM.
I never expected to be doing Industrial Archaeology. I do find this
ironworking business is the most interesting topic so far, however.

Marty Pickands

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/06/06 1:48 PM >>>
Tahawus used a high titanium ore, so there may well be some "odd"
things at the site. Best bet is to contact Gordon Pollard at
[log in to unmask] He has been working in the area and knows a

good deal about Tahawus. Bob Gordon at Yale ([log in to unmask])
can probably also help. I have copied both of them. My "expertise" is

in 18th century operations. Although my MA was about the failure of a

1770s furnace that used a titaniferrous ore. But you get very
different products from a cold blast.

James Brothers, RPA

On Jul 6, 2006, at 11:12, Marty Pickands wrote:

> I'm addressing this particularly to James and all you
Michigan-types.

> We are in the process of cataloging some artifacts from around the
> base
> of the "New Furnace" (ca. 1854) at the McIntyre Iron Works in
Tahawus,