HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
praetzellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:57:05 -0700
HISTARCHers,

I need good examples of archaeological research designs.

Why? Because I'm part of a team that's writing a general research design for the historical archaeology of California towns (not cities), 1848 to 1914. To help archaeologists evaluate and treat the kinds of features often found in towns we will develop a typology, suggest some important research issues, and provide some guidelines to help assess the sites'/features' research values.

We've made up 6 categories of things that went on in historic towns and that may have archaeological correlates:
   town site creation (cutting/filling etc.),
   industry, (e.g., foundries)
   mercantile, (shops)
   services, (restaurants, laundries, etc.)
   residential, (appartments, live-work spaces, etc.)
   infrastructure (e.g., public buildings, public spaces).

Do you have a research design or archaeologically oriented historic context that that deals with anything that might come under any of these headings? If so, I'd like to hear from you *off-list* at [log in to unmask]

Thanks for your help.

Adrian Praetzellis
Sonoma State University
California, USA