HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2013 00:48:32 -0600
Brough, Bennett H.
    1899 _A treatise on mine-surveying_. Charles Griffin & Company. London.

p192 "The water-level is a very simple instrument which, when necessary,
may take the place of a more elaborate leveling-instrument. It requires
no adjustment; it may be made by any intelligent workman at very slight
expense; and in short distances no serious error can be made when using
it. It consists of a horizontal tube made of tin-plate or brass,
terminated at each end by a vertical glass tube in which the surface of
a liquid gives a horizontal line. By means of this line, the vane of a
leveling-staff is adjusted to the right height. The tube is made to
revolve on a light portable stand."

~~~~~~~

A simpler, cheaper & easier to make water-level than that described by
Brough was just a U-bend of glass tubing.

perhaps also of interest:

http://www.sciencephoto.com/media/362685/enlarge