HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charlie EwEn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 1995 09:38:57 EDT
I'm gratified to see such a response to my query. Although some may have
misunderstood my purpose. I am not proposing writing off 19th c.
homesteads. However, with the current climate in Congress and section
106 coming under review, there are real pressures on managers to not see
these sites as significant. Yes, every site can tell us something, however,
the simple fact is that it is not possible to excavate or protect every
site, even on federal property. So how do we determine the most
significant? Thanks again for your responses, I plan to discuss this matter
in a paper at the Southeastern Archaeological Conference. Hope to see some
of you there.

Charles R Ewen Associate Professor
East Carolina University
Anthropology
Brewster A-209 Greenville, NC 27858 (919) 328-1071
Bitnet: ANEWEN@ECUVM1 Internet: [log in to unmask]