From:
Gerard Gibbs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2006 14:12:09 -0700
I wanted to take this opportunity to bring up an artist that I greatly
admire: Rivka Golani.  During my career as an orchestra manager I was
well aware of her reputation but never had the opportunity to hire her
to perform with the orchestra.  Fast-forward to 2004 and the opportunity
did arise.

Although I was no longer employed directly with an orchestra, I had
a hand in presenting her in recital at the Empress Theatre in Alberta,
Canada.  She graciously agreed to rehearse and perform Charles Loeffler's
Two Rhapsodies for Oboe, Viola and piano with Glenn Montgomery on piano.
It was an experience I shall never forget.  It is quite obvious why BBC
magazine included her in its list of the 200 most important instrumentalists
and the five most important violists currently concertizing.

To make a long story short, Rivka suggested that we start a music festival
in Alberta, based at the Empress Theatre, the oldest theatre in the
province.  It has taken two years, and we are now ready to announce this
new festival to the world.  It's called the Windy Mountain Music Project
and is a series of four concerts, film, wine, cuisine and conversation
on music over the weekend of May 26 through 28, 2006.  Please take a
look at the website for details: http://www.windymountain.ca/

In case you have never seen this corner of the world, Fort Macleod is
located 90 minutes driving distance south of Calgary.  It is one hour
away from Waterton Lakes National Park and 30 minutes distant from the
famous Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump UNESCO World Heritage Site.  Fort
Macleod was also the filming location for the feature film Brokeback
Mountain.  If you've ever wanted to visit Alberta or the Rocky Mountains
and you love chamber music, this is certainly another good reason to
make the trip.

Gerard Gibbs
General Director
The Empress Theatre