From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 19:15:30 PST
Kai Czepiczka writes:

>Right now there are 2 ongoing series of Cherubini String Quartets
>on BIS and cpo.  I thought about buying the first of the BIS disks,
>but havn't read any review.  Anybody who listened to them (or the
>cpo - or both)?

I read a review a few days ago in the November/December Fanfare of the
2nd BIS release in the series.  It was highly complimentary and noted a
full-bodied and rich sound.  There have also been good reviews of the
Hausmusik/CPO 1st release.

I'm very familiar with both series and, personally, much prefer the CPO
on period instruments.  Actually, I like the Melos set on DG more than
Hausmusik, but that set might not be in print any longer.  Hausmusik
provides restrained and low-voltage performances that have grown on me
with time; also, the instruments sound great.  My problem is that, although
I agree with the Fanfare reviewer that the BIS performances are full bodied
and rich, that's not how I want to hear these string quartets.  If Kai's
tastes are different, he may well prefer the BIS series.

Don Satz