From:
Joel Lazar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 23:52:05 -0500
Deryk Barker wrote: [much abridged]

>...  Schoenberg certanly seems to have been, shall we say a little odd
>(I hadn't realised until recently that his superstition went as far as
>the numbering of the bars in his music:  12, 12a, 14...)

Our mutual acquaintance Joseph Monzo [at the moment, I think, on
vacation from the Mahler-list] gave me a bibliographic reference [lost
in a computer crash, alas] to a book with a title something like
"Schoenberg as numerologist" ; all I recall about it was that it was
VERY expensive...perhaps when he gets back on line he'll be good enough
to repeat the citation.

Berg was also very much to ciphers, anagrams and numerology, of course...

What a crew!

Best-Joel Lazar