From:
Andrey Dorokhov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 23:57:17 +0300
Len Fehskens responds to Mike Leghorn:

>>what is the big deal about Bach's Mass in B minor? ... I find it
>>boring.  Is my recording faulty?  Should I get my hearing checked?
>
>Regarding the more general issue about the words: I don't think you can
>divorce the words from the music, especially in religious music, but you
>don't need to believe the words to appreciate the sentiments they express,
>and the way the music expresses or supports those sentiments.  I think
>if you ignore the words you're ignoring an important part of the music.
>This is not to say that you can't appreciate the music, only that you're
>missing something.

Do not think it's true, for sure, you have to know, that this is Saint
John Passion for example, and I know that this is some religious text
in it ...  even I comprehend what it's all about, but ....  but later,
when I listen to that music, the words, the contents do not bother me,
not preventing me to listen to my own emotions and to the lovely music
of Bach.  I do not know German, it's helps also:-)

Regards

Andrey Dorokhov
Moscow, Russia