From:
Len Mullenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 15:26:35 -0000
Music on the Web (UK)      http://www.musicweb.uk.net
February Classical CD Reviews

We have 100 CDs for your consideration this month.

I am told the best way to attract visitors to a web site is to have sexy
content ...  so I offer you Unknown Public -NAKED and KINKH Jean Hasse -
is that what they meant? If that does not turn you on we have a lot of Bach
(but not 250 CDs) and also Barbireau, Byrd, Haydn, Jommelli, Tinctoris and
Weelkes.  We have a Scottish quintet of discs:  Tovey, Wallace, McKenzie,
MacCunn etc.  and the Britishers:  Bax (3rd symphony), Berkeley, German,
Vaughan William and Venables, an album of Handel's Rivals and of 16th and
17th Century English lyrics.  In the mainstream we have Brahms, Dvorak,
Franck, Mahler, Martinu, Mozart (and Salieri), Poulenc, Suk and Stravinsky.
For the totally obscure we offer Catoire, Chihara, Haas (as well as Hasse),
Ryelandt and a whole raft of Swedish composers.  This still leaves many
more that you will have to discover for yourself.

Our main essays this month are a survey of recordings of Mahler's 7th
symphony continuing Tony Duggan's series, and Rob Barnett looks at the
first 10 issues in the Naxos Glazunov series.  He also presents a survey
of all the Crystal recordings of Alan Hovhaness and to accompany this we
present the full listing of Hovhaness' works (a web-first we think).  Rob
has also discovered a complete Sibelius Symphonic cycle by Kurt Sanderling
recorded in the 70s.  Ian Lace has been listening to different versions of
Boheme.  The book of the month is 'Shostakovich Reconsidered' by Allan B Ho
and Dmitri Feofanov.

Remember to look in on 'Review of the Day' every day and concert reviews in
Seen&Heard edited by Peter Grahame Woolf.

SITE CHANGE

CD reviews are presented as single files and then collated into scrolling
scripts for ease of printing.  For those using modems to access the web we
also produce further scrolling scripts without CD covers.  All disc details
are also listed in the thumbnail index pages for each month and catalogued
in the annual index pages.  You will gather that a single disc will appear
in 5 different places.  The consequence of this is that it is difficult to
find a particular review among the many returns thrown up by our site
search engine.  It has been decided to delete the scrolling scripts after
two months to ease this problem on the assumption that anyone wishing to
print off the reviews will have done so by then.

If you have any comments on this please e-mail [log in to unmask] within
the week before the deed is done.  Regards

Len Mullenger
Webmaster for Music on the Web (UK)
www.musicweb.uk.net