From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 10:11:42 -0500
Billy(Y) writes:

>This was the "Boxed By-Line" of a Concert review recently written by
>an Eminent Music Critic:- "There is a new breed of Concertgoers who buy
>no programs and often, it seems to me, have Not idea of what is being
>performed.  Just let the music wash over you, without prejudices? Fine -
>but it must lead to some puzzling moments".  The programme - Strauss's
>"Quixote" & Mahler's S1.  CARE TO COMMENT ANYONE???

You know, it's odd but most of the time I get introduced to music without
liner notes.  The two works in question are cases in point, and they're
two of my favorites.  I read about them after I heard them, mainly because
I liked them so much, I wanted to learn more about them.

It's also revealing, I think, that many composers don't want to provide
concert notes or give them only grudgingly.  Elliot Carter once walked out
of a Slatkin concert, when Slatkin began to talk to the audience about the
Carter piece they were about to hear.  He didn't stay long enough to hear
all of Slatkin's remarks, IIRC, and seemed to object that any "help" was
given at all.

Steve Schwartz