From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 07:35:10 -0600
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>I would not relate the closing of a Tower store to any societal
>change in music tastes.  Being a former Tower employee, I can state
>with authority that Tower has no one to blame but themselves for their
>financial misfortunes.  ...  Someone else will come along, like
>archivmusic.com, for example, to give the classical music lovers
>exactly what they need and want: selection, price and service.

However wonderful the service and prices...I miss the times when I
could browse in a store and find wonderful things.  For me, browsing
online isn't the same thing.  I recall even earlier times when I would
frequent Music Masters in New York.  You could listen to things, they
had a huge collection of old LPs, imports I had never heard of, people
who knew and loved the music, not to mention all of those wonderful
illegal tapes of concert performances.  You could spend an afternoon
sitting there listening, going through the lists of concert recordings,
visit with friends, talk about music...I guess I am just an old guy
thinking of the "good old days."

Karl