From:
Satoshi Akima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 15:52:36 +1100
Of the many responses elicited some of the most consistently enjoyable and
eloquent defences of Mozart's alledged supremacy as composer have come from
Peter Goldstein.  There are points raised with which I must take issue:

>I disagree with the poster who argued that Mozart is always Mozart.  His
>early works show some extraordinary anticipations of his mature style ...
>
>William Hong wrote that Mozart was an opera composer who just happened to
>write other music.  I think this observation is spot on.  I very much like
>Donald Satz' comment that Haydn is "direct, lean, efficient, stern." You
>feel it especially in his contrapuntal development sections--Mozart's
>developments are more often like broad melodic and tonal curves.

Were I as keen a Mozartian I would surely have equally delighted in
discovering flashes of genius in his earlier works, but unfortunately
I cannot and are frequently put off by what is too often less than
extraordinary in his earlier works.  This does not of course say that I
agree with Bob Draper in dismissing ALL of Mozart's music as 'bland'.

But I am MOST surprised by the defense of Mozart on the grounds that his
music is vocal or operatic in character.  It was Stravinsky who pointed
this out when he gave a typically barbed description of Mozart's sacred
works as 'roccoco-operatic sweet-of-sin'.  Indeed for all their doubtless
virtues it is, when judged by the highest standards, precisely in their
lack of symphonic structural cohesion that I find Mozart's instrumental
works less than overwhelming.  One turns to Haydn with relief.  Here is
a composer capable of presenting a terse, tightly argued, to-the-point,
musical delopment-argument which is not padded out with beautiful but
ultimately only semi-relevant grandiloquent flourishes.  I risk being
thought of as being myself 'stern', ' lean' and even ruthless, but it is
for the joyful effortlessness with which Haydn handles musical complexity
that I value him above Mozart.  They are the same reasons for which I value
Webern over Berg (or even Mozart).

Do not get me wrong, I do value emotional depth in music.  It is just that
'emotional depth' (Peter Goldstein's expression) is for me too sentimental
a ground to justify the over-inflation of Mozart's reputation, even where
he is lacking in genuine PROFUNDITY of utterance in comparison to others.

Satoshi Akima