From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 13:49:52 -0400
Thanks to Jim Tobin for an illuminating and encouraging review of Jan
Swafford's "Johannes Brahms: A Biography." I have had the book for a
couple of months but it has just sat on the shelf, glowering darkly at me
from its 700 pages.  I have a couple of transatlantic flights coming up
next month, so Jim has encouraged me to add the Swafford book to my
luggage.

Incidentally, Jim refers in his review to Swafford's "Charles Ives: A Life
with Music" -- highly recommended as a readable, educated and enjoyable
introduction to an American composer who has always been something of an
enigma to me.  Indeed, I only got round to doing any digging on him when I
discovered John Foulds (whose music is something of an obsession of mine)
had been described as England's answer to Ives.  If you don't already have
the book, it is well worth adding to your library.  I bought mine for
pennies on the dollar through one of the remainders newspapers -- try
www.hamiltonbooks.com and see if they have it.

Tim
Alexandria, VA