From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 16:09:54 -0400
On the radio yesterday I heard a gentleman say that Beethoven's Third
Symphony owes a major debt to Mozart's 39th Symphony.  I understand that
the 39th was somewhat "grooundbreaking" for its time, and that the Eroica
marked a major turning point to the future for Beethoven.  So, what gives
here? If the assertion is accurate, in what ways did Beethoven build on
the work of Mozart? Thematic, harmonic, structural?

[log in to unmask] (Ed Zubrow)