From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:25:56 -0500
Bert Bailey wrote:

>Don't know if you're already acquainted with Vegetable Music, since I've
>been away.
>
>I'm also unsure that it counts as classical -- as the friend who passed
>it on claimed.  But it _is_ music...  ...
>
>[A warning should be issued that a variety of amplification is used,
>obviously as a ploy to mask vegetablists with weak, unprojecting
>voices.  -Dave]

Sadly true...plus they "cheat" by occasionally using some kitchen utensils.
I wonder if they might have been inspired in part by the Don Gillis:
Variations on a Kitchen Sink for Kitchen Utensils and Band...

While makes me think...now what other odd things have been used as solo
instruments...There is a new CD from Albany which features the Gould Tap
Dance Concerto...and then there is Satie's Parade with typewriter (an
inspiration to Leroy Anderson) steam whistle, whip, etc. another Gillis
work, the Touchtone Concerto for 4 Touchtone Phones and small orchestra,
a Cowell symphony (no.11?) which uses salad bowls, the Harrison Concerto
in Slendro which uses 4 galvanized garbage cans...the Jarlepp Garbage
concerto...

Any other contributions...

Karl