From:
Larry Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:20:41 -0500
Anne Ozorio noted

>The average middle class child in Japan, China and Korea is expected
>tp learn something at least about classical music at school, not
>necessarily because the parents are musical

I have some experience with this concept as it pertains to Koreans.  An
exposure to classical music among young children is part of the culture
of contemporary South Korea.  Schools give instruction on performing,
and many children aspire to perform.  Of course, much of it is only a
shallow interest that does not flourish, but that early exposure is
crucial.

As regards non-musical Korean parents giving their children exposure to
music, I'd relate the following story of a Korean couple who knew nothing
of CM beyond the fact that they respected it.  When they realized their
young son had an exceptional talent, they did all they could to nurture
it, even making the decision to move to the United States, which they
thought would further their son's opportunities.  When, at age 14 or 15,
the young man informed his mother that the pressures of being a violinist
were too much for him to handle and he wanted to give up the violin, his
mother said, "Fine, we came to the United States to further your music,
and if you want to quit, we'll go back to Korea." The response something
like, "That's all right, I'll continue with the violin".

The young violinist is currently studies at the Juilliard Conservatory.

Larry Sherwood