From:
"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 08:18:07 -0700
I've been pleased with a great many of the Naxos recordings of the Haydn
symphonies.  The performances are energetic and the sound is wonderful.
But I wouldn't be without Dorati's, Marriner's, Beecham's, and Karajan's
recordings of the Paris, London, or Named symphonies.  As good as Naxos is,
Haydn at the direction of these masters is just that cut above that makes
them special.  But that said, I agree that there's no reason to buy the
whole sets of Hogwood or Dorati for the lower-numbered symphonies.
Nimbus did have most of the symphonies conducted by Adam Fischer and the
Austro-Hungarian SO at a super-budget price (lower than Naxos), and with
the exception of symphonies 21-49, aren't a bad first choice.  But they are
often hard to find, and Nimbus recordings in general suffer from poor
engineering qualities.

"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>