From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 11:08:43 -0500
Aaron Rabushka wrote:

>One of the few works by another composer (if not the only one) that
>Stravinsky ever conducted was Tchaikovsky's Symphony #2.  I usually find
>other recordings of Stravinsky's music more rewarding than those that he
>conducts himself.

NPR did a wonderful series on Stravinsky...back in the 70s.  One program
was on Stravinsky as conductor.  There was a story of his conducting the
Tchaikovsky 6th Symphony in Cleveland...a performance supposedly unlike
any.  It was at a time when he was more interested in a less fluid
approach.  While I can't remember the exact comment, I recall something
about there being a great deal of staccato!

Karl