From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 21:52:45 -0500
John Smyth writes:

>Is it me, or is Art of Fugue a world apart from the lyricism and
>appraochability of Musical Offering? Jordi Savall offers his own rendition
>of AoF with forces similar to Concerto Italiano....  Is his A of F worth
>looking into?

In answer to John's first question, when I think of the Art of Fugue, I
also think of the Musical Offering.  I feel they have much in common with
three highlighted similarities to my mind: austerity, many of Bach's most
treasureable uplifting passages of music, and supreme representations of
the order and architecture of Bach's music.  For me, they are in the same
neighborhood.

For anyone starting in with listening and buying recorded versions, it is
a good idea to determine what type of performance of the Art of Fugue is
most appealing.  I like it austere, highly lyrical within the austere mode,
and with a strong contrast between the austere and optimistic passages.
That contrast is probably the most important aspect to me.

Savall is more austere than Biondi and his Concerto Italiano; Moroney
also is austere and I love his performance.  If John might prefer a
lighter interpretation, he could consider the version on recorders from the
Amsterdam Loeki Stardust Quartet on Channel Classics.  That's not my cup of
tea, as I find it insufficiently serious with less contrast and variety.

As it happens, I've started reviewing seventeen versions of the Art of
Fugue; I'm almost done with the four "simple" fugues which will constitute
Part I of my review.  It's fantastic music.  Take Contrapunctus II: many
folks feel it's rather unmusical and relentless.

Yes, it can be relentless, such as in Kenneth Gilbert's performance on
Archiv.  But even Gilbert brings out the musicality of the piece.  Most of
the twenty sections of the work just keep sounding better and better with
repeated listenings.

In conclusion, I really feel that the Art of Fugue is just as lyrical and
approachable as the Musical Offering.  It might just be that it takes
longer to appreciate the Art of Fugue.

Don Satz