From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 13:53:54 -0700
Donald Scarinci ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>I am relatively new to classical music.  I am looking for very high quality
>recordings of some of my favorite material.  Particularly, I am looking
>for "The Planets," the Beethoven Symphonies, and Handel's "Water Music."
>I am open to any other recommendations that bring out the sound of a good
>stereo.  I've been told that Telarc recordings are best.  Any thoughts by
>anyone out there?

Try my Beethoven survey at:

   http://www.camosun.bc.ca/~dbarker/beethoven.html

It's in need of a revision, but still worth looking at I think.

And whoever told you that about Telarc may have been right(ish) if you're
talking about recording *quality*.  The Telarc Planets (Levi) ain't bad,
but you should try Mackerras, Boult and the compser first.

Dohnanyi's Cleveland Beethoven, or what I've heard of it, on Telarc is
very average and I'm not exactly waiting with bated breath for Ben Zander's
forthcoming cycle - not if his sub-par Mahler 9 is anything to go by.

Deryk Barker