From:
David Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 18:19:12 -0700
The other day I was listening to the San Francisco AM CM radio station they
call K-Mozart.  This is one of those syndicated outlets, but nonetheless,
pretty decent, esp. compared with KDFC, known around here as Classical
Muzak.  There was a wonderful performance of a bass aria from Zauberflote,
"In diesen heiligen Hallen," sung, I was absolutely certain, by Ezio Pinza.
I listened to that wonderful lilt in his voice and just really enjoyed it,
only to discover it was Norman Triegle.  Baffled that I'd never noticed
NT's resemblance to EP, I looked around my collection and found I have the
great Julius Caesar recording that features Triegle as Caesar (and Beverly
Sills as Cleopatra.) Sure enough, the vocal resemblance was striking.
Which leads to my question: among basses and bass-baritones, who do you
like, and in which arias? And as a side-note, can anyone recommend other
Triegle recordings of note?

Dave Wolf