From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 20:54:50 -0500
David Stewart wrote:

>I just bought 'Sea Pictures' from a 2nd hand record stall in London.
>Dunno how good it is but whatever it is worth 4.  It is Vernon Handley
>with Brigitte someone-or-other.

Bernadette Greevey

Check out Janet Baker/Barbirolli.  My favorite Sea Pictures of the ones
I've heard is the early Gladys Ripley recording on 78s, with the later mono
LP of hers second.  What a voice.  She's also in the famous Gerontius with
Sargent.

>I love it.  But it looks like a cheapie reissue job and it has
>next-to-nothing info about it.  What I really need are the words.  Is
>there some kind soul who can type them into an email for me or is there
>a webpage I can go to?

Check your public library.  (I'm a librarian: can't help making those
recommendations.) If that doesn't work, let me know, and I'll send you
a Xerox.

>I shall try Falstaff next.  Recommendations?

Barbirolli, Boult, Andrew Davis, Solti, Handley, Mackerras.

Briefly, Barbirolli's is warm, leisurely, and congenial.  Boult's (EMI)
is more large-scaled and bumptious in the dramatic scenes, majestic in
the regal ones, while maintaining lyricism in the interludes.  Mackerras
(EMI) is more exciting, with fast, aggressive tempos.  Solti is wonderfully
exciting.  It's hard to listen to it without smiling.  Andrew Davis is a
blend of Barbirolli, Boult, and Mackerras, which is to say it is excellent
and maybe a good choice for a first recording.

Roger Hecht