Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 18:32:24 -0500
Philip Stevens <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'll be in Paris for a few days early in April.  Could listers give me
>recommendations for stores selling classical CDs, including second-hand
>stores, if any.  I understand the FNAC chain is quite good; are there
>particular branches with a better stock than others? Is there a store in or
>near the Centre Pompidou? Is there a store specializing in contemporary
>French composers? Thanks

Others listers have replied already, in particular Peter Lundin who had
good tips :-) He left a few CDs, though.

Here is what I sent to another distinguished lister (from Ankara).  I
thought of sending it privately, but maybe other listers will visit our
country soon.

   The largest record stores are the Fnac's and the Virgin Megastore,
   neither being cheap, but most have a rather extensive stock.  CDs
   (and videotapes, DVDs) only.

   {By the way, the FNAC's -- strange as it may seem -- have been fighting
   for reduced prices for a long time.  One of the reasons why records
   are so expensive here is that we have two VAT rates, one for "common
   goods" at 5.5% and another one for the rest at 20.6%.  Books are
   "common"... CDs aren't.  Our current President meant to append CDs
   to the "common category", but this was not allowed by European rules,
   and we unfortunately have a rather high VAT rate, only surpassed
   by... Sweden.}

   FNAC Musique (music only, but not always more comprehensive than
   others) :

   *24 boulevard des Italiens, Paris 9e (metro Opera)
   Tph. 01 48 01 02 03
   Open Mon-Sat 10am-12pm

   *4 place de la Bastille, Paris 12e (metro Bastille)
   Tph. 01 43 42 04 04
   Open Mon-Sat 10am-8pm (10pm Wed & Fri)

   Other FNAC stores quite good for classical records:
   *Forum des Halles, 1 rue Pierre Lescot, Paris 1er (metro Chatelet,
   Les Halles, or Chatelet-Les Halles)S
   Tph. 01 40 41 40 00
   Open Mon-Sat 10am-7.30pm

   *136 rue de Rennes, Paris 6e (metro Saint-Sulpice or
   Montparnasse-Bienvenue)
   Tph. 01 49 54 30 00
   Open Mon-Sat 10am-7.30pm

   * 26 (?) avenue des Ternes, Paris 17e (metro Ternes or Charles de
   Gaulle Etoile)
   Tph. 01 44 09 18 00
   Open Mon-Sat 10am-7.30pm
   {I haven't been to that one in ages.}

   You can also visit the FNAC website at
   http://www.fnac.fr

   Virgin Megastore :
   * 52 avenue des Champs-Elysees (metro George V, Franklin D.Roosevelt
   or Charles de Gaulle Etoile)
   Tph. 01 49 53 50 00

   As mentioned by Peter, bargain CDs (sometimes brand new ones) can be
   found at:

   *Jussieu Classique
   16 rue Linne, Paris 5e (metro Jussieu)
   Tph 01 47 07 60 45
   Open Mon-Sat 11am-7.30pm, Sun 2pm-7pm

   *la Dame Blanche (more interesting for LPs -- nothing like Harold
   Moores', though --, but they also have some bargain CDs, at rather
   cheaper prices than either FNACs or VM)
   47 rue de la Montagne Sainte-Genevieve, Paris 5e (metro Luxembourg
   or Maubert-Mutualite)
   Tph 01 43 54 54 45
   Open every day 10.30am-8pm

   *Joseph Gibert
   26 boulevard Saint-Michel, Paris 6e (metro Cluny-La Sorbonne or
   Luxembourg)
   Tph. 01 44 41 88 55

   *la Chaumiere a Musique
   5 rue de Vaugirard, Paris 6e (metro Luxembourg)
   Tph. 01 43 54 07 25
   {Quite a confession to make, I have never been there as yet.  It has
   a good reputation, confirmed by other listers!}

   It might be wise to reckon on 10 minutes late in the morning and 10
   minutes earlier in the evening :-)

Best wishes,

Thanh-Tam Le