From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 08:35:13 -0600
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>I notice that Hyperion's series of Romantic Piano Concertos includes a
>CD of concertos by Delius and Ireland, which I suggest might be stretching
>the meaning of "Romantic" more than a little.  I suppose this just serves
>to illustrate the point that it's all but impossible to talk about dates.
>Even individual composers are problematic, eg Stravinsky's Symphony in
>E Flat sounds like Rimsky-Korsakov but no-one would nominate Stravinsky
>as a Romantic composer.

But I think that Stravinsky's first symphony is a romantic work. As for
the notion of "romantic..." For me, just about anyone who composed since
the time of Beethoven and did not use aleatory and or serialism, was
pretty much a Romantic composer.  For me, people like Shostakovich,
Prokofiev, Barber, Harris, Copland (with the exception of the 12 tone
pieces), Bax, VaughanWilliams, et al...were really Romantics...

Which reminds me of the title of a series of some 250+ radio programs I
did..."Twentieth Century Romantics."

Karl