From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 23:02:49 PDT
Eric Kisch wrote:

>Since Artur's been dead for quite a while, which Rubinstein authorized this
>monumental release?  Who's in a position to cough up for 94 CDs at a clip?
>Who thinks these kinds of things up?

Sell it by the bushel and they will come.  That's the theory for each
Christmas season and it works.  These big sets come out each Fall just in
time for the spending rush.  Having worked in a record store, I can confirm
that folks buy them.  Birthdays are bit hits too.  One time, a woman came
in to buy her husband 40 recordings for his birthday.  I asked her if she
wanted sets to count as one or the number of discs in the set; she said
one.  She wanted me to make the selections based on my preferences.  The
bill was around $960.  I tried to give her a good cross-section of music,
but I have no idea what her husband thought of his present.

Music is a great present.  Nobody in my family ever buys me music because
they think I have everything.  Now, with my computerized "wish" list
custom-made by yours truely, I'll give each of them copies.  I still
probably won't get any cds as gifts.  They'll think that their "one" cd
gift will hardly be remembered with all that I have.  I can always use
clothes, and I hate buying the stuff.  Send me yours (men only) when you
tire of them.

Don Satz