From:
Christopher Webber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:39:55 +0100
Jeff Dunn writes of the SF "Cunning Little Vixen":

>Most people I talked to afterwards, however, liked the sets, thinking
>them appropriate to the "modern music."

In a way that "modern productions" quite often can be, for most audience
members.

>When this opera becomes overplayed enough that radical
>re-interpretations seem necessary, perhaps these sets that insult
>Janacek's memory should be tried again.

In what way does a strong interpretation of a strong piece insult his
memory?  Remember that it was Janacek, in tears, who added the shooting
and death of The Vixen into the sentimental folksy original.  It sounds
to me from the descriptions I've read as if the SF production fairly
reflects the spirit of his work: this opera above all is not about
soft-focus, pastoral charm.

>In the meantime, truly outdoorsy sets with easier-to-decipher animal
>costumes should be used to educate audiences with Janacek's original
>vision, rather than poison them with falsity as I believe these SF
>Opera sets do.

Vehement accusations.  What can have bugged Mr Dunn so deeply, in what
sounds a pretty standard 21st century staging?  Personally, I'm relieved
his prescriptive faux-realism is a thing of the dim past.  Most modern
audiences will know plenty about this classic work, with multiple DVDs
available as well as many live productions, so maybe the need to "educate"
them comes second to entertainment, stimulation and re-interpretation.

I think Mr Dunn also underestimates the scope of Janacek's "original
vision" which encompasses harsh, ugly reality as well as folk comedy.
Over and above the Vixen's death, read the composer-librettist's
description of the final scene at the Inn, and listen to what has
happened to the human characters.

>As far as I'm concerned, this version is Watership Down in a sewer,
>despite fabulous singing.

Not, mercifully, for most of the audience - including some old and
traditional-aware friends of mine, who loved it.  Maybe Mr Dunn could
get underneath his indignation, to examine the possibility that he has
missed out on something worthwhile.  As Janacek's finale reminds us, the
world - and theatrical style - moves ever on.

Christopher Webber, Blackheath, London, UK
http://www.zarzuela.net
"ZARZUELA!" The Spanish Music Site