From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 23:38:43 PDT
Wes Crone wrote:

>Take it away Don, I need to crank up the Mass.

Wes wrote of those sections of the Mass he most liked.  I'll just bring up
one particular recording - Gardiner's on Archiv.

I think of Gardiner as highly theatrical, energetic, and exuberant in
much Baroque choral music.  Although he does not slight the reverent and
severe aspects of the Bach Mass, he brings theatre to the work as well.
I appreciate this very much; it's a conception that perfectly satisfies
my preferences.  So, I obviously favor Gardiner over all other period
instrument recordings.  I feel the same way concerning Gardiner's Christmas
Oratorio and the Magnificat.  With the cantatas, however, I think that
Gardiner restrains himself too much.  Oh well, you can't get everything
from one person.  If you're undecided about delving into Gardiner's Bach,
just check out the opening to the Christmas Oratorio.  If that doesn't make
you feel like marching around the room, go for a different conductor.

Don Satz