From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 11:51:53 -0700
Marni Nixon, that is.  One of the least publicized, best musician-singers
in the world, she is featured this weekend on Prairie Home Companion.
If you miss the Sunday repeat broadcast, check http://phc.mpr.org/

At 72, she still sounds better than some sopranos half her ago.
Once again, she is squeezed into the Dub Queen mode, although Keillor
did mention her role in contemporary music (Webern, Stravinsky, Ives,
Hindemith, and, when I lived in Seattle, every new composer in the
Northwest...:).

She got into few big houses (just as well because she never had a big
voice), but we were lucky to have heard her Zerbinetta, Susanna, Blonde,
Konstanze, Violetta and La Perichole up and down the West Coast.

Look for her cameo appearance in the upcoming movie, "Divine Secrets of the
Ya-Ya Sisterhood."

Janos Gereben/SF