From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 07:36:44 +1100
Most of the Mozart symphonies I heard for the first time in performances
by Klemperer, Walter and especially Bohm; later, I found a lot to like
about Szell's versions.  Among others, I've been enthusiastic about some
of the HIP performances, and Harnoncourt's big band Mozart.

I particularly remember an old Walter version on LP of the Linz symphony
that came with lengthy excerpts from the rehearsals.  I haven't heard
it for many years, but I do remember how alive and exhilarating the
performance was.  I've been surprised at the negative comments about his
Mozart and wondered how much it has to do with the fact that so much
Mozart these days is in HIP performances, and perhaps our ears have thus
become more attuned to a different sound.  If you've been imprinted with
an HIP version, perhaps the larger forces Walter and co used sound too
thick in the same way as some find Brahms or Bax too heavily orchestrated.

I was interested to notice how many of Sony's Walter recordings are
still available, and that the Walter bio at its website bears more than
a passing resemblance to the Walter article in Grove.  Each mentions that
he wrote two symphonies, both before 1910.  I don't know of any recordings,
but they would be worth hearing.

Richard Pennycuick