From:
Gene Halaburt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 17:07:28 -0700
L. Ravi Narasimhan wrote:

>I'm one who enjoys the orchestral component of many operas but generally
>not the vocal portions.  An opera-loving friend of mine has suggested
>that I listen to "Tristan und Isolde" with and without the vocals and
>to let him know my thoughts.   I know Maazel has done a "Ring Without
>Words".  Are there similar renditions of "Tristan"?

Not to miss Stoki's wonderful symphonic synthesis of Tristan - running
over 35 minutes - with the Philadelphians in 1932 on Pearl GEMM CD 9238.
And with more modern sound and the same orchestra in 1960 in a slightly
shorter version - 26:03 - on EMI's 2CD "Great Conductors of the 20th
Century" series (EMI 5 75480 2).

GeneH