From:
William Copper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 10:45:26 -0800
Jeff Dunn wrote a well-thought rebuttal to my summary; I'd only defend
myself by clarifying that I wasn't referring to 'plagiarizing' in my
specious syllogism ("composers copy Rochberg"), but rather 'following.

Jeff also quoted the original article:

>Reilly claims that Rochberg is "the pivot point around which American
>music took a decisive turn away from Arnold Schoenberg's systematized
>dissonance ... and back toward tonality.  If it is now safe to return to
>concert halls, it is largely because of him."  Such hyperbole serves only
>to alienate discriminate readers.

And I still say that this statement is worse than hyperbole or
exaggeration, it is simply false.

William Copper