From:
Steven Velardo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 14:33:41 -0400
There are so many composers that are wonderful.  The canon of music we
have to pull from today is by far one of God's greatest gifts to mankind.

My struggle comes in dealing with the lack of quality performance,
particularly in the area of solo piano that exists today.  It seems,
America especially, has elected to go with the young prodigy and marketable
flavor of the month "virtuoso" rather than focusing its efforts on
developing and promoting the well trained, older performers, who are
actually old enough and passionate enough to communicate all that is
contained within the scores.

As a young, 24 year old, classical enthusiast, I am already disheartened
by the same performers, same prodigys that are being recorded and promoted
with little to no variance in high quality, mainstream performances and or
recordings available to those who may appreciate the athleticism of many of
todays top performers but so desire to here the emotion and passion that is
so noticeably absent.

If you know of some performers who I may try out, please let me know.

Steve Velardo