From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 19:00:49 -0400
Bruce Alan Wilson wrote:

>I have never been able to listen to or in any way endure GG since I read
>what he said about Mozart, to wit:
>
>"Mozart was a bad composer who died too late rather than too early."
>
>I can't imagine how any musician could say such a thing.

Although he did not disdain to perform and record his works.

   "It is a fact that Mozart's sonatas are compositions entirely unworthy
   of the author of *the Magic Flute*, or of any composer with pretensions
   to anything beyond mediocrity.  They are written in a style of flashy
   harpsichord virtuosity such as Liszt never descended to, even in
   those of his works at which so many persons are accustomed to sneer."

      --Edward MacDowell, as quoted in Joseph Solman's *Mozartiana*

   "Most of Mozart's music is dull."

      --Maria Callas, attributed by Ariana Sassinopoulos in *Maria
        Callas*, as quoted *Mozartiana*, above.

Walter Meyer '48