From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 17:34:49 -0500
David Runnion writes:

>...  Yes, there are lots of distractions in the concert hall, but there
>always have been, it is certainly better now than in Beethoven's day
>when people came and went, ate their dinners, shouted insults or praise
>at the performers when it moved them, and applauded vociferously between
>movements, even demanding that movements be repeated in concerts....

Well, it's not much better today at the Peking Opera.  I attended a
performance there a couple of months ago and found myself having to get
used to the scene.  Several rows in the front of the orchestra section,
among the best seats in the house, consisted of movable chairs.  During the
performance attenders came in from the restaurant, and with everything in
full swing, simply seated themselves,sliding their seats into position for
a good view.  Throughout, everywhere in the auditorium, low-voiced chatter
kept up.  Snacks were unpacked and eaten.

People get up to leave during the perfromance and bump unapologetically
past the knees of others in the row.  Others, arriving late, bump the other
way.  Here and there,now and then,cell phones beep.  At the end, they all
get get up and, without bothering to applaud the players, smilingly burble
about what a swell evening everyone's's had.  And this one sure did.

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]