From:
Steve Trelease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 13:48:49 -0700
Anthony G Morris wrote:

>Show me a 1st horn who condensates on his colleagues and I'll show you
>a horn duett where the first horn will be allowed to play a few cracked
>notes by his less than supportive lower players.  There are ways....

I've heard that this can be accomplished if the bells are more-or-less
facing each other.  The bell is apparently as good a *collector* as
amplifier.

Speaking of horns, did anyone watch "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?"?
(okay, I confess I did).  One of the big money questions ($250K?) was the
following:

Which instrument traditionally represents the wolf in Prokofiev's "Peter
and the Wolf"

  A) oboe  B) French horn  C) bassoon  D) saxophone

This stumped the contestant, as well as the person he called for assistance
(players are allowed one such "lifeline").

Two other contestants were eliminated at a similarly high level with CM
questions:

Beethoven's Sixth Symphony is also known by what name?

  A) Choral  B) Pastoral  C) Eroica  D) Pathetique

The renowned musician Jacqueline Du Pre played which instrument?

  A) flute  B) piano  C) cello  D) violin

I wonder how many people are kicking themselves for not paying attention
during music appreciation class...

Steve Trelease, fairly certain he knows who's buried in Beethoven's tomb
(and knows without a doubt the occupant is rolling over)