From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:07:02 -0700
Beware of:

1. Performers with a single name,

2. Young sopranos who make their debut with "Una Furtive Lagrima" and
"Greensleeves,"

3. Singers whose recordings are marinated in an echo chamber, a hundred
strings, and special effects.

Izzy, about to make her US debut with a Manhattan Records CD - named,
yes, "Izzy" - is suspect under all those considerations, so surely there
is a "but" coming just about now.  Alas, no.  I don't care if "she was
born Isobel Cooper in a beautiful English villagre called Much Wenlock
in Shropshire" or if she was *nominated* Best Female Artists in the
"Classical BRIT Awards" or, even, if her "Ascolta" sold well, this first
exposure to Izzy is, well, to use a musicological term, pukey.  I don't
mind crossover, if it's done well, but this ain't it.  She warbles and
slides, scoops and bores.  One of the most painful CDs I ever heard half
of.

======

And now, for the good news: Among coming releases in October, NAXOS'
Milken Archive of American Jewish Music is making its first appearance
with five of the planned 50-CD series.  No.  1 is prima - the world
premiere recording of highlights from Kurt Weill's "The Eternal Road."
The other discs offer music by Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco, songs from
the American Yiddish theater, concertos inspired by klezmer, and a
sampler of the series, featuring music by Brubeck (now there is *good*
crossover!), Bernstein, Milhaud, Wyner, and Adolphe.  For information:
www.milkenarchive.org

Janos Gereben/SF
www.sfcv.org